Menu icon - click here to toggle the menu

My Adult Child Needs Help With Drug Addiction

Home Who Needs Help My Adult Child Needs Help With Drug Addiction

If you are the parent of an adult child who needs help with a drug addiction, it can feel overwhelming—whether it is your son or daughter’s first time needing treatment or if they have relapsed. In addition to putting their mental and physical health at risk, your adult child may also exhibit unpredictable mood swings, lie about actions or activities, neglect their responsibilities, become withdrawn and depressed, and/or make poor financial decisions.

You and your family are not alone in your struggle. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), the use of illicit drugs is an epidemic in the United States, affecting the lives of millions daily. As of 2016, the National Center for Health Statistics at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that more than 64,000 Americans died that year alone from drug overdoses including illicit drugs and prescription opioids.

Having a son or daughter with a drug addiction can be a challenging, frustrating and emotionally distressing, but there is hope.

Recovery Centers of America’s treatment options are specifically catered to help your adult child receive the immediate care and life-long coping skills they need to best treat his or her disease and lead a better life. In addition to providing the best clinical care, Recovery Centers of America offers extensive family therapy and family education programs so you can better understand addiction, the rehabilitation process, and help support your adult child in his or her long-term drug addiction recovery.

Need addiction treatment?
We’re here 24/7.

How long will my adult child’s rehabilitation take?

The recommended length of drug rehabilitation—following the detoxification and stabilization period—requires approximately 30 days of inpatient treatment at a Recovery Centers of America facility followed by 60 days of outpatient care. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) states that a minimum of three months of treatment is necessary for addicted individuals to stop drug use.

Recovery is a life-long effort that requires constant management and support. Getting proper help is important, and during your adult son or daughter’s first 90 days of treatment, Recovery Centers of America will provide the foundation required to stop drug use and start the path towards recovery, but continued family support is an essential part of his or her journey.

Can I visit my adult child while they are receiving drug rehabilitation treatment?

During the initial drug detox period, which lasts between 4-7 days, you will only be able to contact your adult child with a counselor present to ensure your son or daughter stays on track and remains focused on getting well.

Recovery Centers of America provides a safe and welcoming environment that encourages family members to be on site at our treatment facilities and meet with our family therapists. During your adult child’s inpatient treatment, you will be allowed to visit during specific visitation hours and are strongly encouraged to participate in family counseling and education sessions with your son or daughter while they are in treatment. Our focus is healing the entire family.

Can my adult child lose a job if an employer learns about his or her drug addiction?

Provided your adult son or daughter is voluntarily seeking treatment and is not facing disciplinary or legal problems prior to entering treatment, his or her job should not be compromised while receiving inpatient drug rehabilitation treatment. Employers can terminate employment if drug and substance abuse inhibits a person’s ability to perform his or her job duties or is in direct violation of a company’s policies. Otherwise, under the American With Disabilities Act (ADA), an employer cannot fire someone for undergoing drug addiction treatment. Individuals who need to take time off work for drug addiction treatment are also protected under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), which entitles eligible employees to 12 weeks of unpaid time off for specified family and medical reasons including drug rehabilitation treatment.

Recovery Centers of America staff can work directly with your adult child and his or her employer to facilitate ongoing communications and ensure a successful return to work. If your son or daughter does not want Recovery Centers of America staff members directly in contact with his or her employer, the request will be honored, and the privacy or your son or daughter will be protected. We’re fully committed to protecting the privacy of our patients and follow strict HIPAA guidelines in regard to sharing information about treatment.

Will my insurance cover my adult child’s drug addiction treatments?

For adult children between the ages of 18-26 who are still on their parents’ plan, Recovery Centers of America is in-network with most insurance providers, and many insurance plans have a provision for drug treatment. However, the amount of coverage and the costs associated with copays and premiums will vary with different insurance policies. Financial counselors are available and will help you and your adult child gain insight into what your plan covers and what it does not cover. Finances should never be a hindrance to drug addiction treatment, so Recovery Centers of America offers scholarships and financial assistance programs to make drug addiction treatment accessible and affordable.

Can my adult child leave drug rehab without me knowing?

All patients who receive treatment at Recovery Centers of America are there on a voluntary basis, meaning your adult child can leave of his or her own volition at any point. Those who are seeking treatment in accordance with suspended or alternative sentencing for a non-violent crime are still permitted to sign themselves out of a Recovery Centers of America treatment facility at any time. However if a patient signs out of rehabilitation before completing the court-ordered rehabilitation treatments, he or she would need to resume his or her initial jail sentence.

If a patient is over the age of 18, HIPAA regulations state that no one is permitted to notify anyone—including the patient’s parents—that he or she has left a drug rehabilitation program early. You will only be notified about your son or daughter’s leaving if he or she has given consent.

If your adult child is considering leaving a drug rehabilitation program, your son or daughter’s individualized team of therapists and medical professionals will work directly with the patient to try to convince him or her to stay and continue treatment.

Can my adult child die from detoxification or rehabilitation treatments?

When performed under the proper supervision of medical professionals, drug detoxification is safe and effective procedure. During detoxification, drugs are eliminated a patient’s mind and body. Recovery Centers of America employs expert medical practitioners who oversee the detoxification process and ensure the treatment aligns with your son or daughter’s physical and psychological needs. The full detoxification process lasts approximately 4-7 days, and patients are under 24-hour supervision the whole time to ensure safety.

Unmedicated detoxification from the class of drugs known as benzodiazepines can cause seizures and other health complications that may result in death, so it is vital that detoxification from drugs is conducted under the care of medical professionals. Detoxing from any substance without professional help is dangerous and often ineffective at breaking the chain of addiction.

Will drug rehab show up on my adult child’s background check?

If your adult son or daughter is voluntarily seeking treatment and has not been convicted of any crimes prior to entering a Recovery Centers of America treatment facility, his or her time in rehab will not show up on a background check.

For individuals convicted of crimes, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission states that “federal law does not prohibit employers from asking about your criminal history.” However, there are federal laws that prevent employers from discriminating when using criminal history information.

Recovery Centers of America is fully committed to protecting the privacy of our patients and follows strict HIPAA guidelines with regard to sharing information about treatment.

How do I know if my adult child really needs rehabilitation?

Identifying the stages of addiction is often difficult, but you should have a direct conversation with your son or daughter at the first signs of drug use. If you feel unsure about how to approach and talk to your child about drug addiction, Recovery Centers of America offers free resources to help you start the conversation. If you even suspect your son or daughter’s drug use is habitual or addictive, it is best to consult a licensed professional for assistance. If you have any suspicion that your adult child is addicted to drugs, it should be taken seriously and you should make every effort to get your son or daughter into drug rehabilitation treatment.

If you’re struggling with getting your son or daughter to enter a treatment program, an intervention may be just the thing they need to get motivated to go. In fact, according to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence over 90% of all interventions done with an interventionist result in the addicted party checking themselves into rehab.

Professional interventionists at Recovery Centers of America will help you set up an intervention and guide your adult son or daughter into a nearby inpatient treatment facility.

Will my adult child go to jail after seeking drug rehabilitation treatments?

If your adult child needs help with drug addiction, he or she will not go to jail as a direct result of rehabilitation treatment. Recovery Centers of America abides by HIPAA guidelines and will not disclose a patient’s participation in drug treatment to any third party—including law enforcement officials—without consent.

However, if your adult son or daughter was convicted of a non-violent, drug-related offense prior to entering treatment, the case may be evaluated by a drug court following an arrest. Drug courts will assess an individual’s needs and risks and will often recommend a drug treatment program instead of prison time. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the cost of drug treatment is lower compared to incarceration.

Can my adult child’s spouse interfere with the rehabilitation process?

The relationship between a patient and his or her spouse is an imperative one when it comes to the recovery process.

Like any family member, a spouse is strongly encouraged to participate in counseling (including our family and couples therapy sessions) to help overcome any residual feelings of anger, resentment or hurt. Participating in therapy and educational sessions will also provide a spouse with information and tools to help support your son or daughter’s long-term recovery after drug rehabilitation. Your son or daughter’s spouse will learn about the importance of boundaries, relationship dynamics, and caring for a loved one after treatment.

The spouse of your son or daughter has to adhere to the facility’s visitation rules and will not be able to directly contact the patient via cell phone or tablet while he or she is in treatment, since these devices are restricted unless otherwise approved by a therapy team.

Additionally, a spouse cannot sign a patient out of drug rehabilitation treatment early.

Will my adult child’s driver’s license be revoked after rehab?

Unless your adult child accumulated too many points on his or her license before entering rehab, or his or her car insurance lapses during treatment, your son or daughter’s driver’s license will not be revoked.

According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, some of the reasons that someone could have a license suspended include repeat violations, serious offenses (such as Driving Under the Influence, Driving While Intoxicated, Operating While Intoxicated), or driving record inaccuracies.

But these possible causes revocation can only occur in the time frame before or after someone enters drug rehab—not as a result of getting treatment.

Need addiction treatment? We’re here 24/7.



Treatment Advisor
Standing By, 24/7