Menu icon - click here to toggle the menu

My Adult Child Needs Help With Alcohol Addiction

Home Who Needs Help My Adult Child Needs Help With Alcohol Addiction

As the parent of an adult child who needs help with alcohol addiction, it can feel overwhelming—whether it is your son or daughter’s first time needing treatment or if relapse is the reason for seeking help.

The effects of long-term drinking can lead to extensive, irreversible changes in the brain, as well as damage to the heart, liver, pancreas, and overall immune system. This can ultimately have fatal consequences. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, there are an estimated 88,000 alcohol-related deaths every year, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States.

Recovery Centers of America’s treatment options are specifically catered to help your adult son or daughter receive the immediate care and life-long skills and strategies needed to treat his or her disease and live a better life. In addition to providing the best clinical care, Recovery Centers of America offers extensive family therapy and family education services so that you can fully understand addiction and the rehabilitation process and support your adult child with his or her long-term alcohol addiction recovery.

Need addiction treatment?
We’re here 24/7.

How long will my adult child’s alcohol rehabilitation take?

Following a period of detoxification and stabilization, your adult son or daughter will spend 30 days at a Recovery Centers of America inpatient facility followed by 60 days of ambulatory care. Every individual’s treatment and recovery is different, so your son or daughter’s timetable for treatment will ultimately depend on his or her customized treatment schedule, but a full 90 days of treatment is recommended to stop alcohol use.

Recovery is a life-long effort that requires constant management and support. During your son or daughter’s first 90 days of treatment, Recovery Centers of America will provide a foundation for recovery through medical treatment, individual and group therapy, and immersive 12-step programming.

Can I visit my adult child while they are receiving treatment?

During the initial alcohol detox period, which can take between 4-7 days, you will only be able to contact your adult child with a counselor present to ensure your son or daughter stays on track and remains focused on getting well.

Recovery Centers of America encourages family members to be on site at our treatment centers to meet with our family therapists. In fact, the support and participation of family members is an essential part of success in recovery.

During your son or daughter’s inpatient treatment, you are encouraged to visit during specific visitation hours and are strongly encouraged to participate in family counseling and education sessions with your son or daughter while he or she is in treatment. Our focus is on healing the entire family through therapeutic activities and ongoing engagement.

Can my adult child lose their job if their employer learns of their alcohol addiction?

The rights of employees undergoing treatment for alcoholism are covered under the American With Disabilities Act (ADA), which states that employers cannot fire someone for entering into treatment. The federal law states that employers must provide employees with a leave of absence in order to obtain medical treatment for alcoholism. Employees may also be eligible for 12 weeks of unpaid leave through the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).

However, employers can terminate someone’s position if alcohol abuse inhibits a person’s ability to perform his or her job duties or is in direct violation of a company’s policies, which can include being under the influence of alcohol in the workplace.

Provided your adult son or daughter is voluntarily seeking treatment and is not facing disciplinary or legal problems prior to entering treatment, his or her job will not be compromised while receiving inpatient alcohol rehabilitation treatment.

Recovery Centers of America staff can work directly with your adult son or daughter and his or her employer to facilitate ongoing communications and ensure a successful return to work. If your son or daughter does not want Recovery Centers of America staff members directly in contact with his or her employer, the request will be honored, and your adult child’s privacy will be protected. We’re fully committed to protecting the privacy of our patients and follow strict HIPPA guidelines in regard to sharing information about alcohol addiction treatment.

Will my insurance cover my adult child’s treatments?

For adult children who are still on their parents’ plan, Recovery Centers of America is in-network with most insurance providers, and many insurance plans have a provision for alcohol addiction treatment. However, the cost of premiums and copays for addiction treatment will vary with age of your child and your personal policy. Recovery Centers of America’s financial counselors will provide assistance so that you and your adult child have a clear understanding of what is covered by your insurance plan and what is not. Financial issues should never be an impediment to alcohol rehabilitation treatment, so Recovery Centers of America offers financial assistance programs and scholarships that make alcohol treatment as affordable as possible.

Can my adult child leave rehab without me knowing?

All patients at Recovery Centers of America receive treatment on a voluntary basis, meaning that your adult child can leave the rehabilitation facility of his or her own volition at any point, provided he or she is not in treatment as part of court-mandated sentence. Those who have been convicted of non-violent crimes who enter Recovery Centers of America through court-mandated programs are permitted to sign themselves out. Under those circumstances, your adult child would likely need to complete a jail sentence for not finishing his or her rehabilitation sentence.

HIPAA regulations state that, as condition of the voluntary enrollment, no one is permitted to information about the patient, unless that patient is under the age of 18 and your are his or her legal guardian. If your adult child is over the age of 18, parents are not notified if their son or daughter leaves rehab, unless Recovery Centers of America has consent to notify you directly.

Can my adult child die from detoxification or rehabilitation treatments?

When performed under the proper supervision of medical professionals, alcohol detoxification is a safe and effective procedure where alcohol is completely removed from a patient’s body and mind. Alcohol detoxification is one of the first steps your son or daughter will take during treatment, and Recovery Centers of America employs expert clinicians and medical practitioners who supervise the process and ensure the treatment plan meets your son or daughter’s physical and psychological needs. Patients are under 24-hour supervision during the full detoxification process to ensure health and safety.

Unmedicated detoxification from severe alcohol dependence is dangerous and can lead to fatal outcomes including seizures, severe delirium with trembling, and dysregulation of body temperature, pulse, and blood pressure. Recovery Centers of America does not recommend detoxing from any substance without professional help.

Will rehab show up on my adult child’s background check?

If your adult son or daughter is voluntarily seeking treatment and has not been convicted of crimes prior to entering treatment at Recovery Centers of America, his or her time in alcohol rehab will not show up on a background check.

However, a DUI conviction prior to rehab may cause court-ordered rehabilitation to show up on a background check. For those convicted of crimes, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission notes that federal law does not prohibit employers from asking about criminal history but that these laws prohibit employers from discriminating when using criminal history information.

Recovery Centers of America is fully committed to protecting the privacy of our patients and follows strict HIPAA guidelines in regard to sharing information about alcohol addiction treatment.

How do I know if my adult child really needs rehabilitation?

At the first signs of alcohol abuse, you should have a direct conversation with your adult son or daughter. If you are asking this question, your son or daughter likely needs professional help with alcohol addiction.

Any delay in getting your son or daughter admitted into alcohol rehabilitation treatment could compound the addiction and the consequences associated with it. These consequences might even include death. It is imperative to take any suspicion of alcohol addiction seriously.

If your adult son or daughter has demonstrated any of the signs or symptoms, such as secretive drinking, changes in appearance, blackouts, memory loss, relationship issues, and engaging in risky or negligent behavior, the fastest and most effective treatment is through inpatient rehabilitation. The team of certified interventionists at Recovery Centers of America can help you plan and execute an intervention, guide your adult child into a treatment facility, and give your family the tools needed to support long-term recovery.

Will my adult child go to jail after seeking alcohol rehabilitation treatments?

If your adult child needs help with alcohol addiction, he or she will not go to jail as a direct result of alcohol addiction treatment. Recovery Centers of America follows HIPPA guidelines and does not notify law enforcement officials or any third-party about alcohol addiction treatment without consent.

If your adult son or daughter was convicted of a non-violent, alcohol-related offense prior to entering treatment, the case may be evaluated by a court following an arrest, and alcohol rehabilitation treatment may be a part of the sentencing.

Can my adult child’s spouse interfere with the rehabilitation process?

The relationship between a patient and their spouse is an imperative one when it comes to the recovery process.

Like any family member, a spouse is strongly encouraged to participate in couple and family counseling sessions. Your son or daughter’s spouse will learn about the importance of boundaries, relationship dynamics, and caring for a loved one after he or she has completed treatment.

During inpatient treatment at Recovery Centers of America, the spouse of your son or daughter is expected to adhere to the same visitation guidelines as friends and family. The spouse of your adult son or daughter will not be able to directly contact him or her via cell phone or tablet during treatment, as those devices are restricted unless otherwise approved by the therapy team.

Additionally, a spouse cannot sign a patient out of rehab early.

Will my adult child’s driver’s license be revoked after rehab?

Unless your adult child was arrested for a DUI, had driving record inaccuracies, or accumulated too many points on his or her license before entering rehab (or if car insurance lapsed during treatment), his or her driver’s license will not be revoked.

The possible causes for your adult son or daughter’s driver’s license being suspended or revoked can only occur in the time frame before or after entering rehab—not as a result of getting treatment.

Need addiction treatment? We’re here 24/7.



Treatment Advisor
Standing By, 24/7